In today’s tough economic climate many people are facing the thought of foreclosure on their home, overdue credit cards and missed car payments. It’s stressful trying to stay afloat right now and matters are made worse when creditors are constantly calling you. What we’d like you to know is you do have rights. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act gives you the right to stop harassing phone calls and sue collectors who are abusive.
Here is what you need to know!
1. Collectors can call you between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. They can’t call repeatedly just to intimidate or harass you
2. They can’t call you at work if your boss says they can’t
3. They can’t threaten you with jail
4. If they are a collection agency they can’t threaten you with a lawsuit
5. They can’t garnish your paycheck with out a judgement
6. They can’t tell another person who answers the phone that you owe money
If a collection agency violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act you can sue them in Federal Court
You can visit our bankruptcy page for a sample Cease and Desist letter to stop the harassament
If you have questions about creditors or filing bankruptcy call David at (248) 624-5500 or email him at David@ambroselawgroup.com